Last year I started a survey to find out more about the struggles of people living on Centrelink and how I could help. I’ve been on Centrelink, I’ve been homeless and I know the issues I faced but I needed to know more. I read all the stats, various reports from the government and personal experiences. Issues facing those accessing Centrelink are getting worse – longer wait times, more calls unanswered than there are citizens of Australia, inability to get the right payments, incorrect debt, false accusations of debt and forced repayments, the struggle to transition from Centrelink to a job, plus the mental anguish caused by being on Centrelink, the list goes on.
The more I read, the more I needed to do something. I might not be able to change the government, I can offer tips. I can offer resources. I can offer my experience and advice based on that.
My Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal is:
To assist 1,000,000 Australians to survive and thrive on Centrelink and where possible, get off Centrelink completely.
In a nutshell, according to statistics (read more about the statistical details here):
– Over 5 million Australians rely on income from Centrelink
– Over half of these are on the Age Pension or Veteran Pension
– A further 800,000+ are on disability
– 660,000+ are on Newstart
– The remainder are on parenting payment, carers payment and other payments
If I can assist 1,000,000 Australians live a higher quality of life, be able to afford the medical help they need, get jobs or achieve whatever goal they have, I will be ecstatic.
You can get all the tips, resources and posts emailed to you monthly:
I know I am fortunate and I know it was hard work, determination, a specific mindset, support, resilience and resourcefulness that enabled me to turn my life around. I have gone from being a homeless single mother because of domestic violence to become a multiple international award winning CEO, speaker, author, writer and charity ambassador. Given my experience, my passion for helping others and the knowledge I have, I want to help others build a life they love, achieve their goals and help others do the same.
I realised this months ago and set about making changes in my personal life to enable me to be in a position where I could pursue this goal, dedicating real time and resources to it. I sold off aspects of my company, downsized some of my projects, focused on my health to improve my life there and worked out what I needed in my life to enable me to do all I wanted to do while still having quality time with my family and an income.
This goal to help 1,000,000 Australians on Centrelink isn’t goal that’s part of my business or going to make me money. It’s done in my own time and I can’t remember the last time I felt this passionate about a project. It excites me so much.
I have been working on it quietly in the background for a few months but wasn’t ready to announce it yet.
I have already shared some posts to help such as Which Centrelink payments am I entitled to?, a post which outlines numerous income supplements, one off payments, annual payments, allowances, benefits and more for all different situations, as well as posts such as How to create an unbeatable rental application, Ways to make extra money while living on Centrelink, How to get money to leave an abusive relationship, How to rebuild after leaving an abusive relationship, How can I budget and survive with no child support? and What to do if you become or are close to becoming homeless.
How will I help 1,000,000 Australians survive, thrive and where possible, get off Centrelink?
– A monthly newsletter. If you want to be one of the 1,000,000 I help, please subscribe so you get all the posts, resources and tips I share right in your inbox. Subscribe here:
– Through social media. I will share tips including exactly how I turned my life around, income opportunities, money saving tips, time manangement, health, business and more on my Facebook page, my Instagram account (which up until now has been mostly travel) and twitter. I’ll will be changing each of these accounts this week to reflect this goal.
– Answering your questions. I have questions already pitched to me which I will write articles about, but am open to anything you want to ask me. Feel free to email admin at kylietravers.com.au
– Committment. I will never promote or recommend anything I don’t use or haven’t used. I am committed to being totally transparent with you.
– Raising funds and awareness. I’ll continue with my charity work including fundraising, but mostly, my aim will be to raise awareness for those living on Centrelink to enable them to improve their quality of life.
What topics/tips will I focus on and how?
I’ll have blog posts, social media posts and will start a podcast and share video content in the coming months.
So far, the main themes that have come up in the survey and at events I have spoken at are:
– How to get a job/make money from home/increase income
Including various scenarios such as unskilled workers, disabled workers, people who have served time in prison, single mums etc.
– How to juggle study, kids, work etc.
Basically, how to do it all and afford it.
– How to budget
Budgeting on a variable income, budgeting with variable expenses, how to budget for those large periodic expenses like electricity bills or rego.
– How to manage medical expenses/afford medical treatment/live on disability
– How to afford rent
– Support for carers
– Tips for dealing with Centrelink and job agencies
– Services for assistance outside of Centrelink
– How to eat healthy, nutritious food for a whole family under $100 per week consistently
If you have anything you specifically want covered, leave a comment below or email my assistance admin @ kylietravers.com.au
I am excited about the potential to help so many people. I know how hard it is to survive on Centrelink and how hard it is to get off it if you can.
I have already set up a Centrelink Tips page, which I will continue to add to. Plus, if you’re ready to get started, check out my 10 steps to success with goals, read the tips on starting a business or look at the resources I have listed and see what would work for you.